Super Bowl Sunday is coming up. What are you making?
A healthier version of ANY traditional Game Day snack is a good start. But since I couldn't choose between all the types of dips involved, I figured a layer dip was the indecisive person's way out.
Besides, who doesn't love all the flavors in a layer dip?
I went for a rainbow layered look: a red salsa layer, the orange cheese layer, the, well, clearly not yellow refried bean layer, a green guacamole layer, a blue layer of crushed blue corn tortilla chips, and the equally not violet seasoned black bean layer. I had nothing in my kitchen that was naturally (I stress naturally, of course) purple or yellow, though a great yellow layer could be chopped yellow squash with yellow bell peppers, with some low-sodium jerk seasoning. I also opted out of putting a layer of vegan sour cream on top, but you can feel free to do so with yours. The proportions in the recipe will depend on the size of the container you're using to hold the dip, along with the amount of people you're trying to feed- again, feel free to upgrade as needed.
The colors and the variety makes for a great presentation- your omni pals might not abandon their hot wings, but they'll sure clamor for this tasty, eye-catching dip!
* 3/4 to 1 cup of fresh salsa
* 3/4 to 1 cup cheddar Daiya vegan cheese
* 1 cup refried pinto beans
* 1 cup fresh guacamole
* 3/4 cup crushed low-sodium blue corn tortilla chips
* 1 cup refried black beans, or 1 can black beans, drained, seasoned with lime juice and cilantro
1) Prepare refried black beans and refried pinto beans as directed. While beans are still hot, spread evenly at the bottom of a large, clear glass bowl. Spread an even layer of crushed tortilla chips over black beans; evenly spread guacamole over tortilla chips; repeat with warm refried beans, Daiya layer, and then fresh salsa layer. Heat in microwave for 30 seconds if cheese needs to melt more. Serve warm with tortilla chips.