So yesterday was Vegan Pizza Day... and if for some reason you must ask why, it's because pizza is so awesome, it deserves to have a special vegan version. And vegan pizza is so special it deserves a celebratory day of its own!
So since I can't argue with pizza of any kind, I took the kitchen to make my own version.
As much as I love my basic marinara sauce & mozzarella variety, I needed to make something fun with contrasting but complimentary flavors. So here comes apple and smoked tofu pizza:
* Start with a whole wheat or whole grain vegan pizza crust. Spread thin apple slices over the dough.
* Sprinkle a 1/4 cup of Daiya cheddar, or your fave vegan cheddar over the apples. Since Daiya tends to be a little on the oily side when heated up, I just stuck with the 1/4 cup; but if you prefer more, by all means add more!
* Spread a few thin slices of smoked tofu over the vegan cheddar- I used half a block of the Wildwood brand smoked tofu.
* Top with caramelized onions- you can easily have these cooking while you spread the dough and start arranging the toppings.
* Sprinkle pizza with some freshly ground black pepper and a pinch of chopped tarragon.
* Bake at 450 degrees for 15 minutes, and enjoy some sweet, smoky, melt-y goodness!
I experimented with one more recipe- a bok choy variety- and I'll post that tomorrow! Enjoy!