Friday, October 1, 2010
A super simple bean salad I made this week with the last heirloom tomatoes I could find... isn't it sad when your fave summer veggie goodies disappear? Perhaps I should call this the "In Denial Summer is Over Salad!"
Garbanzos are one of my favorite beans, and I used Follow Your Heart mozzarella-style vegan cheese for this dish. Like most vegan cheeses I've tried, it doesn't melt very well and the texture is slightly chewy, but it does hold up in a cold salad. Nothing fancy here, but it's light and simple, and like all food, is meant to be shared!
* 1 15 oz. can garbanzo beans, drained and rinsed
* 1/2 pint of yellow grape tomatoes, halved
* 1 large heirloom tomato, diced
* 4 oz. vegan mozzarella, diced
* 1/2 small red onion, diced
* 10 basil leaves, chopped
* salt & pepper to taste
* 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
* 1 tbsp. red wine
1) Combine all ingredients in a large mixing bowl and toss until well coated. Serve chilled.