Thursday, August 19, 2010
When at your local farmer's market over the summer, do you pass by the apple stands in favor of the vendors with more berries? Do you figure, "I've got all of autumn to eat apples, I want my berries while I can get them in-season!"
Allow me to give you a reason to visit your apple guy.
Don't worry, you can still stock up on summer faves, like asparagus and snap peas. In fact, you can get the best of both worlds... in one salad. Since all the ingredients were looking pretty amazing on market day, I decided to make a quick salad with crunch! It's perfectly sweet and perfectly summery. I love adding cilantro and lime juice to salads, but you can vary it up with some parsley and apple cider vinegar if you choose!
Save the rest of your apples for pie, but you'll definitely want to enjoy this salad before September.
* 1/2 lb. snap peas, trimmed
* 2 apples, diced
* 1 bunch asparagus, trimmed and chopped into 1 in. pieces
* 1 small yellow onion, diced
* 1tbsp. chopped cilantro
* 2 1/2 tbsp. lime juice (or apple cider vinegar)
1) In a large mixing bowl, add snap peas, apples, asparagus, onion, cilantro, and lime juice and toss until well-mixed. Serve chilled.