Thursday, February 4, 2010
I'm going back to brunch for this post! This is not only an easy dish to make, but an easy one to get non-tofu eaters to enjoy. Fried tofu usually has a scrambled egg-like consistency, so why not save the egg and scramble up some healthy tofu instead? A combo of salt, pepper, garlic powder, and nutritional yeast are wonderful for giving tofu a boost of flavor, and just like any other egg dish, you can always add your choice of extras- for this scramble, I used a little bit of tomato and parsley, but you can add whatever veggies you like. Serve this scramble with some multigrain toast with chutney or with some salad greens for an eggs-tra healthy breakfast. Forgive the pun, but when I see a cornball line in the making, I have to go for it!
* 1 pkg. extra firm tofu, drained and excess water squeezed out
* 1 tbsp. nutritional yeast
* 1 tsp. garlic powder
* 1/2 tsp. each salt & freshly ground black pepper
* 2 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
* 1 Roma tomato, diced
* handful of parsley, chopped
1) Crumble tofu with your hands into a large mixing bowl. Add nutritional year, garlic powder, salt, and pepper and mix into tofu until incorporated.
2) Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium-high heat. Add tofu to the pan and cook for 10 to 12 minutes until golden and slightly crispy, stirring frequently to make sure tofu doesn't stick to the bottom of the pan. Mix in tomato and parsley; cook for another 3 or 4 minutes. Remove from heat, and serve hot.