Saturday, February 13, 2010
I love sweet and earthy flavor combos, so it only makes sense to lighten up a typical chewy and earthy kale side dish with some sweetened, caramelized leeks. Maybe this dish could be the healthy counter-balance to the indulgent dish you might be making for Valentine's Day? Nature gives us sweet things; we might as well use them!
* 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
* 2 garlic cloves, minced
* 1/4 tsp. red pepper flakes
* 2 large leeks, trimmed, split, and thinly sliced
* 1/2 lb. kale, chopped (about 8 cups)
* 4 tbsp. low sodium vegetable stock
* juice of 1/2 lemon
* salt, pepper, and nutmeg to taste
1) In a large skillet, heat olive oil over medium heat. Add garlic and red pepper flakes and cook for 2 minutes. Add leeks and cook for around 8 minutes, stirring occasionally, until leeks start to turn golden.
2) Stir in kale. Add veggie stock and cover. Cook for about 20 minutes, until kale is tender, stirring occasionally. Season with lemon juice, salt, pepper, and nutmeg. Serve hot.