Italian-American dishes are among the easiest to make vegetarian- I mean this, of course, as the biggest compliment! These veggie meatballs are completely easy to make- start with a package of Gimme Lean veggie ground (I love this brand for it's low-fat, low-calorie meatless goodies!) and add whatever seasonings you like! Lacking fresh basil at this time of year, I used some parsley along with some crumbled garlic toasts, though any breadcrumbs will do. If you nix the parmesan in this recipe, you can make these meatballs completely vegan- no egg is needed for these! This recipe makes about 16 meatballs, and you can use them in tomato sauce, a "meatball" sub, a veggie Italian wedding soup, or whatever else might make an Italian grandmother proud!
* 1 14 oz. pkg Gimme Lean ground "beef"
* 1/2 cup breadcrumbs
* 1/4 cup parmesan, grated (you can use a vegan version of parmesan as well!)
* 1 1/2 tbsp. fresh parsley, chopped
* 1 tsp. garlic powder
* 1/2 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
* 1/4 cup canola oil or olive oil, for frying
1) In a large mixing bowl, add the veggie ground, breadcrumbs, parmesan, parsley, garlic, and pepper. Using hands, mix until ingredients are incorporated. Roll about 2 tbsp. of mixture into medium sized balls.
2) In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat. Cook meatballs in batches, about 5 to 6 minutes until crispy. Drain on paper towels, and serve hot or cook in tomato sauce or soup.