Friday, January 8, 2010
For New Year's, I thought it might be fun to take a typical party side dish- like pasta salad- and combine it with another typical party appetizer- Italian antipasto. The best of both worlds, yet more filling and flavorful!
You can choose whatever types of antipasto you like- grilled artichokes, boccacini, roasted red peppers, or you could even put some veggie Italian sausage in the mix (the Tofurkey brand makes a tasty version!). If you are saving time and buying your veggies from your deli counter- FreshDirect, Fairway, and Whole Foods are just a few of the supermarkets that offer quality antipasto- as I did, you should probably blot your chosen veggies with paper towels to get rid of the excess oil; as much as I'm disgusted by pasta salads with mayo, I'm not a fan of super oily dishes either!
* 1/2 lb sundried tomatoes
* 6 large grilled artichokes
* 1/2 red onion
* 1/4 lb. kalamata olives
* 1/2 box whole grain elbow pasta
* 5 large basil leaves, chopped
* 1/2 tsp. garlic powder
* salt & pepper to taste
* 3 tbsp. extra virgin olive oil
* 1 tbsp. white wine
1) Cook pasta according to box directions; drain, and rinse with cool water. Place in a large mixing bowl and set aside.
2) Meanwhile, roughly chop all vegetables. Add to the pasta along with remaining ingredients; toss to coat pasta and distribute veggies. Allow flavors to blend for one hour in the refrigerator before serving.