Sunday, July 12, 2009
If you'd like another variation on potato salad, spring peas (even frozen ones will do), fresh basil, and parmiggiano reggiano make an even better accompaniment to potatoes! Try this summery, pesto-style version of potato salad!
* 1 28 oz. bag of creamer potatoes, sliced in half or quartered
* 1 bag frozen peas, defrosted
* 1/4 cup olive oil
* 1/2 cup chopped basil leaves
* 4 cloves garlic, minced
* 1/4 cup parmiggiano reggiano, grated
* salt & pepper to taste
* 1/4 crushed walnuts
* 1 small red onion, diced
1) Bring a large pot of salted water to a boil. Boil potatoes until tender. Drain and rinse with cold water. Set aside in a large mixing bowl.
2) Using a food processor, process peas, olive oil, basil leaves, garlic, and grated cheese until smooth. Alternately, for a chunkier texture, mash the above ingredients with a potato masher, stirring occasionally. Add a tablespoon or two more olive oil if needed.
3) Add the pea pesto, walnuts, red onion, and salt & pepper to the potatoes, and stir with a large spoon. Garnish with basil, and serve warm.