Wednesday, April 8, 2009
While all's fair in love and street meat, you can at least be confident that this mock version of a San Gennaro classic will not leave you with heartbreak or heartburn. There are a number of different ways to prepare this block party staple- some with tomato sauce, some with white or red wine, and I've even seen one with beer! My take on sausage & peppers obviously includes soy sausage links, and I also decided on sherry wine to marinate all the ingredients before grilling- the sweet and crisp taste of an Andalusian sherry boosts the flavor of your sandwich filler. So though you might be curious about that sweet Spanish addition to an Italian soy street treat, it sure beats wondering how dirty water adds flavor to those hot dogs, no?
* 3 tbsp. olive oil
* 1/2 package Tofurky veggie soy sausage links, cut into 1/2 inch chunks
* 1 cubanelle peppers, seeded and cut into strips
* 1 red bell pepper, seeded and cut into strips
* 1/2 red onion, sliced
* 1/4 cup sherry
* salt & pepper to taste
* 1 tbsp dried basil
* 1 tsp red pepper flakes
1) In a large bowl, add veggie sausage, cubanelle pepper, red bell pepper, and red onion. Add basil, salt & pepper, red pepper, and sherry. Toss to coat. Let the mix sit for 10 to 15 minutes.
2) Heat olive oil in a large skillet over medium heat. Pour ingredients into the skillet and allow sausage & peppers to cook in the sherry mix until reduced and sausage is browned- about 10 minutes.
Use some whole grain rolls to serve 4.