Tuesday, July 29, 2008
Were you one of those kids that squealed, "ewww, green stuff!" when your parents heaped the veggies on your plate? It's okay, I had those moments too. But when it came to fresh, crispy green beans, believe you me, there was not a green thing to be found by the end of dinner. The vinaigrette I use for this salad may sound grown-up, but crunching on green beans will definitely tap into your inner child all over again!
* 1 lb. mixed green & wax beans, ends trimmed
* 1 large bell pepper, sliced into strips
* 1/2 red onion, coarsely chopped
* 1/4 cup basil
* 3 tbsp. olive oil
* 4 tbsp. sherry vinegar
* 1 tsp. freshly ground black pepper
* 1/4 cup parmiggiano reggiano, finely grated
1) For the salad: In a large bowl, toss the beans, pepper, onion, and basil together. Set aside.
2) For the vinaigrette: Combine olive oil and sherry vinegar in a small bowl. Whisk in pepper and cheese, and immediately pour over the bean salad. Toss to coat. Serves about 4 as a side dish.